Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Michigan (out of order)

The day had come and we sadly had to leave.  I wanted to be with Rick and I am more than ready to settle down, but not into a temporary place, and we loved our situation; so I had a lot of trepidation. We got packed up slowly. I had to send about 4 boxes of clothes and miscellany ahead of time.  Then packed two 60 pounds suitcases, so mom will be sending another box along.  So I had one 47 pound bag, a 49 pound bag, the giant car seat, my giant jogging stroller and the umbrella stroller. But we got it all checked along for free, thank god.

I've never spent more than a few days up here, so it is interesting already.  Flying into Detroit over some great lake was cool. There are a bunch of islands in the middle of it.  Also, it is soooo flat up here.  We are about 45 minutes SW of the airport, through a couple small towns.  So I was viewing this trip as a big adventure and actually got excited in the last couple days. I want to go to Canada, and go kayaking, and boating, and biking and explore things I don't know about, now that Bobby is a little older.  So all that was a positive thing, but then I realize Rick is working 6 days a week and often nights and weekends.  So I'll probably have to do it alone.  If anyone wants to come visit me, I want to rent an RV!

I can't even describe this town b/c I've never been anywhere like it, but I'm sure there are thousands of them around.  Lots of Victorian homes, with sidings, lots of lattice and colors etc.  There is a couple blocks of "Main Street" then the more commercial end with the Family Dollar store (yuck), grocery, Walgreens and CVS and fast food.  It will do.  Also, the Rooneys are lending us a truck that we'll pay insurance on and then I'll have my car to use for aforementioned adventures.  There are lots of people walking around  the neighborhood.  And there are those walk up ice cream stores all over this area and they're packed at night.

Also it's light here until at least 9:30, close to 10pm.  A little disorientating at first.  I'll be in touch and document it all as we hit up all the parades, pig roasts, festivals and whatnot in the next month!  And if you have any rich friends, tell them to donate to Rooney!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah - Thanks for the wonderful newsy updates and photos. The house and wooded area look very nice, and we are pleased you and Bobby and Rick are together - although I'm sure you're missing Mom/Grammy. Sounds as if there are wonderful small-town America things to see/do/experience, and I hope you get to take advantage of them. Al and I are planning to come see you all, probably in Sept., so you might want to take a few days then to kayak, etc. We'd be more than willing to babysit. Meanwhile, keep us posted. And enjoy your new home.

    ReplyDelete