Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Home Day 3

So I meant to write this this morning, but the day just passes. I don't know where it goes since we do nothing. Which is nice, just rest and feed. Last night was pretty good. I had my alarm on even to really be sure he eats a lot and regularly, but he actually woke up right on schedule 12, 3 and 6 ish. He eats for 30 minutes then we cuddle and he goes down really easy. The 6am meal took a lot longer, and we were working on it until about 7:30am. But I am confident he is eating well today. Some were shorter than I like, but in that case he'd get right back on after being put down. He just falls asleep with me way too easily. Luckily Grammy likes to harass him kindly and give him little talks and he usually behaves after that. The previous two nights had started the same, but the second half he was wide awake from 4am onward.


I have a little general anxiety, but only because I want him to be perfect and gain weight and be healthy. I think mom has told me "he's only 5 days old" a million times. So all this sleeping is normal and he's basically just getting used to being alive.

He does have some serious jaundice. We had a follow up Monday morning after being dismissed Saturday at 2pm. They took another bilirubin blood test to see where his levels were at. He was 14.5 out of an allowable 15 before they would want to bring him in for an overnight with the lights. Tuesday morning he seemed even more yellow - it had worked down to his chest and arms. So I called the doctor. I had to and feel better that I did. They left it up to me if I brought him in, basically to ease my mind, but I am choosing to wait it out day by day, rather than have his little bony heel get pricked again. Bottom line is he is eating well and peeing and pooping a ton. Eating isn't perfect but he is getting latched on just fine and getting lots in. I think he is a little lethargic, but he can be aroused, eventually - usually by getting naked and tickled a bit.

What else... well this is where we need a private reading section so Dad doesn't have to be subjected to such details. I am sure this is a natural process and quite a design, it sure does take a toll on your body. I can't imagine how I'll lose this weight. I guess when mom isn't cooking for me, it may be easier. So right now I'll just take care of healing.

We might have to venture out to the sidewalk or something so I don't go crazy and Bobby can get some indirect sun. We are sitting in a huge thunderstorm now and he doesn't flinch. Same thing when the smoke detector went off. He is a deep sleeper which is good and bad. More as soon as I feel up to it. Roseann comes tonight. Thanks to all for concern, care and advice.

2 comments:

  1. don't worry about the weight! it will come off soon enough. If you restrict calories it can affect milk supply. eat up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he will change a million times in the next few months so just keep doing what you think is right.

    ReplyDelete